27 February 2015
Royalties for artists
Under the artists’ resale royalty scheme, artists receive royalties on certain resales of their work. Copyright Agency has been appointed by the government to collect royalties to pay to the artists.
To help us find you if we collect a royalty for you, please register your contact details here.
Information required from sellers and agents
The scheme requires the seller, or the seller's agent, to report all commercial resales for $1,000 or more, whether or not a royalty is payable. You can do this online once you set up a secure login here.
About the scheme
Since its start on 9 June 2010 until 27 February 2015, the scheme has generated royalties:
- Totalling more than $3.3M
- From more than 10,400 resales
- For more than 1,030 artists
- Lowest royalty $50
- Highest royalty $55,000
- Most royalties have been between $50 and $500
- Over 65% of the artists receiving royalties are Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander artists and they have received 40% of the total royalties generated
- Most royalties (over 60%) have been paid directly to living artists with some paid to artists' estates and beneficiaries
- Of the 50 artists who have received most money under the scheme, 26 are Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander
- Most artists have received one or two royalty payments, but some have received multiple payments
- Royalties generated for artists already exceeds the funding provided by Government for implementation of the scheme.
Governance and reporting
Copyright Agency reports regularly to the Ministry of the Arts on the operation of the scheme, in accordance with its contract of appointment. Copyright Agency also provides its annual report to the Minister for the Arts for tabling in Parliament.
Copyright Agency is a signatory to the Code of Conduct for Collecting Societies, and reports annually to the Code Reviewer on its compliance with the Code. The Code Reviewer invites submissions on collecting societies' compliance with the Code from any interested party.
2013 Review of the Resale Royalty Scheme
A post-implementation review of the Resale Royalty Right for Visual Artists Act 2009 (the Resale Act) and the associated scheme commenced in June 2013. The Resale Royalty Review Report is being finalised. An announcement about the scheme is expected to be made in the coming months.
Copyright Agency has specialist staff to help you with your enquiries:
artists: contact our Visual Arts Manager Tristan Chant, or our Indigenous Communications Coordinator, Trish Adjei
art market professionals: contact our Resale Royalty Manager, Judy Grady
Phone 1800 066 844 or +612 9394 7600, or make an online enquiry.
Resale royalty news
For updates sign-up for our free quarterly eNewsletter CANVAS.
Follow us on Facebook
See our Facebook page here.
The Australian Government has appointed Copyright Agency to manage the resale royalty scheme.
Ideas Exchange @ Switch 25 July
Posted on 28-06-2012
Copyright Agency and Information and Cultural Exchange are hosting an information session for writers and artists in Parramatta in Sydney’s west on 25 July..